Customer Terms and Conditions
Last update June 2015
Below is a summary of our key terms and conditions. However, these a substitute for reading the full version.
- Beyond provides an online venue where you can search for a funeral director (also referred to as Partners here) to arrange a funeral for you.
- The funeral services you can buy or book on Beyond are sold by our Partners and not us. We are only responsible for arranging your booking and (in most cases) dealing with payment.
- We are not liable for the services you receive from our partners, but let us know if you encounter a problem or the service you receive falls short of your expectation and we’ll do our best to help out.
- Beyond is designed to be an easy, modern and safe way to arrange a funeral. Remember that the funeral director is there to serve you at all times.
- If you want to change your booking please contact the funeral director directly to arrange.
- Funerals can be expensive and unexpected – that’s why we’ve worked hard with our partners to make a payment schedule that works for everyone. We ask for 10% as a deposit on booking (returnable at the Partner’s discretion), followed by a 40% payment a few days before the funeral with the remainder to be paid within seven days after the funeral. Failure to pay any amount may result in cancellation of the funeral. We reserve the right to share customer information with the Partner in the case of any unpaid amounts.
- Payments can be made by you or other persons who you designate. Beyond will only return funds directly to the person who made them and will at no time transfer monies to anyone else.
- Rules regarding cancellation:
- If you wish to cancel your booking, you may do so at any time at least three days before the planned date of the funeral or before the 40% payment has been made. We will return any funds held by us that have not been forwarded to the Partner. It is at the Partner’s discretion whether to return your deposit payment, as they may have already begun to incur costs on your behalf.
- If you want to talk to us, please get in touch with our team:
Phone: 0800 044 9454
Post: Beyond Customer Service, 3 Loughborough Street, London, SE11 5RB.
For ease of reference the following terms shall having the following meanings in these Customer Terms and Conditions:
- “Call-back Request” means your submission of a request for a telephone call from a Partner to discuss your Booking;
- "Partner(s)" means our selected third party providers of funeral goods and services who offer their funeral goods and services for sale via our Website;
- "Products/Services" means any products, goods and/or services of a Partner offered for purchase or booking via the Website;
- "Customer", "you" and "your" means you the buyer of any Products/Services.
- Introduction and relationship between you, us and third party partners
- This Website is operated by Funeralbooker Ltd, a company registered in England under company number 09639436 and whose registered office is at 3 Loughborough Street, London, SE11 5RB, with VAT registration number 219 3992 77 ("Beyond", "us", "we" or "our" for short).
- The Beyond Website allows you to book and pay for funeral products and/or services from a variety of providers (our Partners). Those products and/or services are provided by our various Partners and not by us. Beyond is responsible for taking your bookings and passing those on to the relevant Partners, and for dealing with payments made by you in relation to those bookings. The Products/Services which you book via our Website are the responsibility of the Partner which provides them.
- The legal implication of this is that in when you purchase Products/Services, it will create two binding legal contracts:
- a contract between you and Beyond (under which Beyond has certain responsibilities to you in relation to the booking and payment process). That contract is made on these Customer Terms and Conditions; and
- a contract between you and the relevant Partner in respect of the provision or supply of the Products/Services which you book through the Website.
- All Products/Services available for purchase on the Website are offered by Beyond on behalf of its Partners. That is, Beyond acts as booking agent for Partners. Therefore, we are not responsible or liable to you for the actual Products/Services that are booked through the Website.
- We amend these Booking Terms and Conditions from time to time as set out in clause 8. Every time you wish to make a transaction on the Website, please check these Booking Terms and Conditions to ensure you understand the terms which will apply at that time.
- Orders and how the contract is formed between you and us
- The Website allows you to generate an Initial Invoice which can then be sent to a Partner by placing a Call-back Request with the Partner. At this stage you are under no obligation to make any payment or complete the Booking.
- When the Partner receives the Call-back Request they will place an Arrangement Call with you to discuss your Booking. Please take this opportunity to discuss any specific concerns or requirements with the Partner, as well as getting to know the Partner and ensuring you are comfortable with them.
- Following the Arrangement Call you will receive an email outlining the items on the Invoice. You can also view this at any time by logging into your account. The Agreed Invoice will represent your Initial Invoice, amended, as necessary, by the Partner based on your discussions. Please take the time to check the items on the Agreed Invoice. If you have any concerns, please contact the Partner or us.
- Included in the email with the Agreed Invoice will be a payment link requesting a Deposit Payment which you must pay to secure your Booking and allow the Partner to begin acting on your behalf. Only pay if you are happy to proceed with the Booking.
- All Bookings are subject to acceptance and the contract between you and the Partner ("Contract") will only be formed when you have made the Deposit Payment and are sent an order confirmation (usually by email) ("Order Confirmation").
- Your Partner will then undertake all necessary arrangements and services as stated on the Agreed Invoice. If your requirements change or you need assistance, you should contact your Partner. Any of your subsequent instructions requiring a new or amended Charge to the Agreed Invoice can be made up until the submission of the Final Invoice by the Partner.
- You will be notified of all changes to the Agreed Invoice through the Website. You should take the time to review any changes and ensure you understand and are comfortable with them. Please contact the Partner if you do not recognise or do not agree with any Charge.
- To allow the Partner to arrange the Booking, which includes making payments on your behalf to third-parties, we will request a Pre-funeral Payment three days before the Funeral Date. Failure to make this payment may result in the cancellation or postponement of your arrangements.
- The Partner will communicate the Funeral Date to you either in person, by call, or by another reasonably acceptable communication. In addition, the Funeral Date will be shown on your Website account and can be used in various Beyond services. You should take the time to check the date, time and location and contact the Partner if there are any issues.
- We will request payment of the Outstanding Balance after the Funeral Date and this must be paid within seven days of the Funeral Date.
- Failure to make the Outstanding Balance payment will result in proceedings against you be either Beyond or the Partner for the amount of the Outstanding Balance. We reserve the right to share all information legally allowed with the Partner in order to pursue this payment.
- You may cancel your Booking at any time before you have made the Pre-funeral Payment. This may result in cancellation of all arrangements with all arrangements requiring a new booking to be made. It is at the sole discretion of the Partner whether to return the Deposit Payment to you.
- If, at any time, you experience difficulty making contact with the Partner or reaching agreement, please contact us on the details at the start of this agreement and we will do our best to help you.
- Beyond and our Partners are under a legal duty to provide Products/Services that are in conformity with the relevant Contract.
- All Products/Services shown on the Website are subject to availability and the images and/or descriptions of the Products/Services on the Website are for illustrative purposes only and actual Products/Services may vary from those images and/or descriptions. We require our Partners to ensure that all information provided by them for display on their page of the Website is accurate, complete and not misleading in any way but we cannot verify the information which they provide to us. It will be each Partner's responsibility to ensure that all of its Products/Services listed on the Website are available and accurately described.
- If you are a consumer, you have legal rights in relation to Products/Services that are faulty or not as described. Advice about your legal rights is available from your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or Trading Standards office. Nothing in these Booking Terms and Conditions will affect these legal rights.
- In addition to your other legal rights, you have the right to cancel a Contract and receive a refund in accordance with the terms set out in this clause 4.
- You may cancel a Booking at any time up to three days before the Funeral Date or before the Pre-funeral Payment is made. It is at the sole discretion of the Partner whether to refund the Deposit Payment in whole, or in part, as they may have already begun to incur costs on your behalf.
- Any amounts paid by the Customer and held by Beyond but not yet onward remitted to the Partner will be returned to you (excluding any amounts owed to the Partner for the Deposit Payment).
- Any amount paid by a Contributor and held by Beyond but not yet onward remitted to the Partner will be returned to the Contributor in question.
- Resolving Issues
- We know the funeral is very important to you and we care strongly about your experience and want to ensure we maintain the highest standards possible. If you would like to make a complaint about Beyond, one of our Partners or their Products/Services, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at Beyond Customer Service, 3 Loughborough Street, London, SE11 5RB or call us on: 0800 044 9454.
- Following receipt of a complaint regarding a Partner we will contact the Partner to try and resolve the issue on your behalf. Further or alternatively, if you are unhappy with the Products/Services received from a Partner pursuant to a Booking, you can also:
- speak to the Partner yourself to try and resolve the issue; and/or
- leave an honest review on the Website to reflect your experience.
- Please do bear in mind that while we will take all complaints about our Partners seriously and do what we can to help you resolve them; we are not responsible to you for the Products/Service which the Partners provide.
- Price and payment
- Prices and any processing charges will be as quoted on the Website from time to time, but may be subject to change by Partners at any time.
- Prices include VAT where applicable unless it is stated otherwise on the relevant page in relation to the relevant Products/Services of the Website.
- Processing charges are liable to change at any time (in which case the Website will be updated accordingly, but changes will not affect Bookings in respect of which you have already been sent an Order Confirmation prior to the date the change is published on the Website).
- The Website contains details of a number of Products/Services and it is possible that, despite Beyond’s best efforts, some of the pricing and other information shown for certain Products/Services is incorrect.
- Payment for all Products/Services must be made at the time of booking in pounds sterling by credit or debit card, using our online payment facility ("Payment Facility"). You will be responsible for protecting the confidentiality of your Website user ID and any password or other security information used by you to access your account on the Payment Facility. Any currency conversion costs or other charges incurred in making a payment will be borne by you in addition to the price due to us.
- Beyond takes reasonable care to ensure that its Payment Facility is available and functioning at all times, but cannot guarantee continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to such Payment Facility, nor can we guarantee that the facility is virus or error free. We also try to ensure that your payments are processed promptly, but it is often difficult to predict the amount of time needed to complete processing because it is dependent upon many factors outside of our control, such as delays in the banking system or in card networks. Access to the Payment Facility may be occasionally restricted to allow for repairs, maintenance or the introduction of new facilities or services. We will attempt to provide reasonable notice of any scheduled interruptions to such Payment Facility and will do what we can to restore the facility as soon as reasonably possible.
- Beyond allows you to share the cost of the Booking with other people, however the sole responsibility for any payments remain with you. Any other person who pays towards the Booking, but is not the Customer, is a Contributor.
- Any payments made by a Contributor will be held by Beyond until a payment to the Partner is required.
- In case of cancellation, payments will be returned to the Contributor who made them. It will be at Beyond’s discretion whether to return these payments to any other person designated by the Contributor.
- Contributor payments can only be made towards the Pre-funeral Payment and the Outstanding Balance Payment.
- Where we have been negligent and/or breached a contractual obligation to you, we will be liable for any loss or damage you suffer as a result, as long as the loss and/or damage is foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if it is an obvious consequence of our negligence or breach of contract, or would have been considered by you and us to be a likely consequence of it at the time we entered into the contract.
- We do not accept any liability for the following types of loss, whether caused by breach of contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise, even if the loss is foreseeable: loss of income or revenue; loss of business; loss of profits; loss of anticipated savings; loss of data; or waste of management or office time.
- We do not exclude or limit our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or for any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
- Our right to vary these Customer Terms and Conditions
- We may revise these Customer Terms and Conditions from time to time in the following circumstances:
- If we change the process for accepting payment from you;
- If there are changes in relevant laws and regulatory requirements;
- If there are any other changes to our business that reasonably means we need to amend these Booking Terms and Conditions.
- Every time you make a Booking the Customer Terms and Conditions in force at that time will apply to the contract between you and us.
- Whenever we revise these Customer Terms and Conditions in accordance with this clause 8, we will keep you informed and give you notice of this by stating that these Booking Terms and Conditions have been amended and the relevant date at the top of this page.
- All communications and notices from you must be sent to Beyond by email at email@example.com. You may also contact us at: Beyond, 3 Loughborough Street, London, SE11 5RB. Beyond may communicate and give notice to you via post, phone, email or by posting notices on the Website.
- If any of these Customer Terms and Conditions are determined by a competent authority to be invalid, unlawful or unenforceable to any extent, such term, condition or provision will to that extent be severed from the remaining terms, conditions and provisions which will continue to be valid to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- These Customer Terms and Conditions will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England. You and we each agree that the English courts will have non-exclusive jurisdiction over any claim or dispute arising from, or related to, the ordering and/or supply of Products/Services via the Website.