Although Rotherham Crematorium opened in 1962, East Herringthorpe cemetery where it is located has been carrying out funeral services and burials since 1953. The crematorium is located in a culturally diverse, multi faith town and as a result the crematorium is well placed to reflect and accommodate this diversity. The main crematorium building along with the chapel, waiting room and entrance area are currently undergoing a period of improvement work to enhance the quality of services that can be provided. This will include improved car parking facilities with space for up to 120 cars. Within the chapel, there is an organ for live music and there is a Wesley music system to play a range of music during the service. In addition to the changes in the crematorium, improvements have been made to the memorial gardens which have been extended to provide a greater range of memorial services that can be personalised to suit.